Sunday, November 8, 2009

Today I'm thankful for...

(The sisters of the Hilton Head Island Relief Society and I at the General Relief Society Broadcast in September)

Today it finally dawned on me that Thanksgiving is only a few weeks away. I don't know what it is about being away from home all the time, but it tends to make all of my seasons run together and get all twisted up (I swear it still feels like July here).
I decided I would try to post at least once a day about SOMETHING I'm grateful for. Cheesy? Yes, but I'm going to do it anyway. They will be in random order, they will be weird, but so am I and this is my blog.

Today I'm grateful for Relief Society. Ever since I was a Young Women I have looked forward to going to Relief Society. There is just something about the idea of meeting together with my sisters to learn about the Gospel that I just LOVE. I love that there are women of all ages. I feel like I have nothing to loose, and everything to gain from meeting with women that are older than me. Whether they have already raised their kids and are now grandmas, they still have kids in the home, or have no kids I feel like I have something to learn from them.

The Relief Society sisters here in Hilton Head (and at home) are great. Every time we come down here they welcome us with open arms. They no longer make us stand and introduce ourselves, they simply acknowledge that we are back and ask how long we're going to be here this time. They invite us to their activities, they present us with opportunities to serve. They make us feel loved.

Today I was particularly touched as I saw the excitement in the eyes of all the sisters as they talked about going to the temple for the first time with one of their sisters.
I was also touched as I listened to the lesson as presented by Sister Dante. I love this sweet sister. Originally from Uruguay her English isn't perfect. She expressed her frustration at not being able to fully express herself. I understood her perfectly through the Spirit, in fact probably more so than if she had been perfect in her English.

For these reasons I am grateful for Relief Society. It strengthens my testimony. It provides me with opportunities to serve. It helps me draw closer to Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

Caroll said...

I'm thankful for wonderful daughters!!! I love you.

grandma said...

So am I, and wonderful granddaughters. I love all of you.