Sunday, January 17, 2010

Happy Birthday Sydnie


She had a birthday shout hooray!
You should be very grateful this isn't a video blog entry. haha
Nevertheless...Sydnie had a birthday last week and it was great.  Todd has school ALL DAY on Monday (as in his last class doesn't get out until 9:30 p.m.) so I was able to spend the entire day with her.  She was thrilled I'm sure!  
I made her this headband.


She LOVES strawberry cake so I made her three!


Okay, Okay so it was really just one cake mix divided into three pans.
Do you know how long it would take us to eat three whole cakes?
Probably not at long as it should...but still.
Anyway...strawberry cake with strawberry icing.  The icing was my favorite.

 1 pound butter
2 pounds powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
8 oz strawberry syrup (the kind you use on pancakes)

I've also made this frosting with raspberry syrup on a chocolate cake
and the combination was divine. 

Please be smarter than me and realize that a frosting recipe that requires an entire pound of butter will make way more frosting than you will need for 1 cake mix (even with 3 layers!).
I maybe used HALF.

Back to the cake...

There is something I should tell you about me and frosting cakes.
I don't do so hot with the sides I'm horrible at frosting the sides.
Notice how there are no pictures of this cake from the side?
This cake had not 1 but three sides, I was destined to fail.  I really should have just left them bare.
I didn't, they looked ridiculous, and Rachelle and I were left with the awkward task of trying to cover them up some how.
Sprinkles.  When in doubt add sprinkles.
Somehow they make everything look prettier.
And candles, 19 haphazardly positioned candles.
Finally, why not throw a butterfly cookie you happened to decorate that day on top?
Ah, who cares?  We're getting ready to eat it in 10 minutes anyway right?

Right!
Happy Birthday Sydnie!  We sure LOVE YOU and are glad you're part of our family forever!

5 comments:

Caty said...

I want to bake with you. And CUTE headband!

grandma said...

Yes, happy birthday Sydnie. I thought about you AFTER the fact. I'm afraid that all Grandma has thought about lately is how bad shingles hurt. But I love you SOOOO much. Happy 19th and many more!
Loved your cake Terriann! And I love you. Thanks for being such a good sister. (and granddaughter!(

Christine said...

Hope Syd had a good birthday! And Terriann, you are so talented I don't think you can fail at any kind of craft!

Unknown said...

you keep yourself busy huh? i love your creativity!

Debbie said...

oooh I love your frosting...I am going to try it...I think your cake was great!!!!